Present a Workshop!
Workshops at SisterSpace are collaboratively built by the people attending the festival.
Our goal is an array of workshops as interesting and diverse as our attendees. In the past, SisterSpace attendees have led workshops on art making, bee keeping, body painting, car maintenance, coquitos, financial planning, happy relationships, hula hooping, lesbian health, salsa dancing, self-improvement, sexuality, sobriety, softball, ukelele playing, and yoga—to name just a few!
Who can lead a workshop? YOU CAN!
We’ve had workshop leaders who are national speakers—professionals in their field—and we’ve had many workshops led by women who are passionate about a topic and are willing to facilitate a group discussion even if they are not “experts.” Leading a workshop is open to all attendees who wish to volunteer their time.
We welcome you to share your passions and interests by facilitating a workshop.
Volunteering as a Workshop Presenter
All SisterSpace attendees, vendors, entertainers, and workers are welcome to submit a workshop proposal. You do not have to be a professional in your field. You just need a passion and a desire to facilitate a 50-minute discussion or activity with other women/nb AFAB folks.
Submission Deadline: July 31
Priority selection and scheduling will be given to those who submit their proposal by the deadline. NOTE: Workshop proposals submitted after the deadline will not be able to be included in the printed Festival program booklet.
Registration Deadline: August 10
If your workshop proposal is accepted, you must register and prepay in full by the deadline. Note: Early registration (by June 15) ensures you pay a lower price for festival admission. Final confirmation of your scheduled workshop will be sent after you register.
Looking For Inspiration?
Based on feedback we’ve received over the years, we are especially interested in hosting workshops on any of the following topics. The topics are presented in no particular order.
- Red Tent
- Trans Forum
- Black Lives Matter
- Salsa Dancing
- Cardio Boxing
- Dealing with homophobia in the work place
- Same-sex domestic violence
- Blending families and childrearing
- Queer history
- Coalition-building skills
- Financial planning—for younger and older individuals
- Finding peace and joy in your life as a single woman/nb AFAB
- Women of Color forum topics
- Surviving cancer
- Fitness and nutrition
- Growing, canning, and preserving food
- Making art from found objects
- Body image
- Gardening, composting
- Book discussion on a preselected book
- How to use power tools
- Basic car maintenance
- How to knit or crochet
- Healthcare reform—making sense of the changes and new options
- Self defense
- Dance instruction— line dances, salsa, other
- Breast casting
- Writing workshop
- Finding fulfillment in the retirement years
- Women’s communities for 55+ women/nb AFAB
- Changing health for 55+ women /nb AFAB
- Your great idea for a SisterSpace workshop!